LIFESTYLE: Quitters Sometimes Win

Saturday, February 21, 2015

It's OK to Quit - inspiration


Often times in life we think quitting is a bad thing. That's what society tells us anyway. It seems like all we ever hear is along the line of quitters are losers. It's sadly just become a norm of thinking.


Society is wrong.
Quitting is ok, and can be a GOOD thing. Especially if it leads to growth & balance.
I've spent the past year being a quitter...reevaluating life and taking action...
No, I didn't go aimlessly quitting everything I was doing just to go lamely cry in a corner. (Sorry, no crazy quitting tirade.) I took a step back, slowed down and acknowledged that just because I was on the same path as everyone else, it didn't mean I was on the right path. The busy lifestyle, the goals of more money, the over consumption...everyone's doing it and I should follow along, right? - "C'mon Amy, what's wrong with you?...you aren't happy pursuing that?" Turns out that type of life just wasn't working.

I just recently read a snipet from Donald Miller talking about the same thing. He's a smart dude. He says, "The idea is two fold:
1. Get rid of anything that doesn't need to be in your life.
2. Realize you don't have to be stuck in a rut.

I was in a rut.
I had a lot of things that didn't need to be in my life.
I was focused on a lot of things that didn't need to be in my life...unimportant things.
So, yeah...I quit things. It was life changing.

I quit my job
I had a terrible job I felt I was stuck at. So I left. By quitting I no longer had to deal with the stress and poor work environment. I no longer chose to deem the company's behavior acceptable by working for them. I was then free to pursue a better career path. I now carefully choose who I work for and with. I choose options that align with my values and propels me into growth as a person and in my field. I pursue mutual respect. I pursue things I love. It seems to work out.

I quit over consuming
I spent a lot of time buying things and thinking about buying things. This dulled the pain of the crappy job and I was far from understanding what it meant to live intentionally. I worked so I could buy things. I created and followed an "American Dream" type of lifestyle. That's what I was taught. I didn't really know any other way. Society tells us to overwork so we can overbuy. It's a perpetual process, it doesn't end. So yep, quit that too. Don't get me wrong, I still love the artistic qualities and culture of fashion but I don't let it consume me.

Those are just a few examples of how I chose to change my life by quitting. So be encouraged to not feel stuck...feel free to quit! You don't have to stay in a rut. Be intentional about what you pursue in life. Take a look at your life and quit any un-healthly lifestyle you find yourself in.

No comments:

Post a Comment